“See that word?” he said. “Right there. That is not science.”
The word was “lone,” as in “PvPlm is the lone plasmepsin in the food vacuole of Plasmodium vivax.” It was a filthy word. A non-scientific word. A flowery word, a lyrical word, a word worthy of — ugh — an MFA student.
I hadn’t meant the word to be poetic. I had just used the word “only” five or six times, and I didn’t want to use it again. But in his mind, “lone” must have conjured images of PvPlm perched on a cliff’s edge, staring into the empty chasm, weeping gently for its aspartic protease companions. Oh, the good times they shared. Afternoons spent cleaving scissile bonds. Lazy mornings decomposing foreign proteins into their constituent amino acids at a nice, acidic pH. Alas, lone plasmepsin, those days are gone.
So I changed the word to “only.” And it hurt. Not because “lone” was some beautiful turn of phrase but because of the lesson I had learned: Any word beyond the expected set — even a word as tame and innocuous as “lone” — apparently doesn’t belong in science.
I’m still fairly new at this science thing. I’m less than 4 years beyond the dark days of grad school and the adviser who wouldn’t tolerate “lone.” So forgive my naïveté when I ask: Why the hell not?
Adam Ruben, Science, How to Write Like a Scientist.
- burstingbubbles likes this
- dontspilltherum reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- newsfrompoems reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- mingland reblogged this from onebytwobythreebyme
- onebytwobythreebyme reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- psicologicamenteblog likes this
- aaa2zee reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- alittlemercy likes this
- ukridge reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- therearenoborders reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- ukridge likes this
- therockandtheroll likes this
- chels likes this
- readinglist32 reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- readinglist32 likes this
- mckinneycantspeak likes this
- californiapoliticking likes this
- severalversionsofjean likes this
- prefigurationsofmygeneration likes this
- 21a05zx likes this
- holzhuter likes this
- jesus-san likes this
- citizenkerry likes this
- futurejournalismproject posted this