Everyone wants to know why Obama, with his pledge to “protect whistleblowers,” would do this. After all, Obama’s transition agenda recognized that “[o]ften the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled.” That’s not just a broken promise, it’s a complete reversal.
Jesselyn Raddack, Salon. Obama Targets Journalists.
Related: See Glenn Greenwald — also from Salon — from this past weekend.
In an article about Laura Poitras, an Oscar-and Emmy-nominated documentarian, he writes that she is detained for questioning — and has her analog and digital belongings (think footage, notes, etc) investigated — “virtually every time” she enters the United States.
[Poitras] has had her laptop, camera and cellphone seized, and not returned for weeks, with the contents presumably copied. On several occasions, her reporter’s notebooks were seized and their contents copied, even as she objected that doing so would invade her journalist-source relationship. Her credit cards and receipts have been copied on numerous occasions. In many instances, DHS agents also detain and interrogate her in the foreign airport before her return, on one trip telling her that she would be barred from boarding her flight back home, only to let her board at the last minute. When she arrived at JFK Airport on Thanksgiving weekend of 2010, she was told by one DHS agent — after she asserted her privileges as a journalist to refuse to answer questions about the individuals with whom she met on her trip — that he “finds it very suspicious that you’re not willing to help your country by answering our questions.” They sometimes keep her detained for three to four hours (all while telling her that she will be released more quickly if she answers all their questions and consents to full searches).
- weatherall likes this
- escargoy reblogged this from capitalismconcarne
- capitalismconcarne reblogged this from againstpower
- soraediculous likes this
- colintedford likes this
- novaless reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- lookatthisbeautifuldisaster reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- viciousneutral likes this
- pushinghoopswithsticks likes this
- fairatbest likes this
- ishqoinqilab reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- mistygeek reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- samalynphotography reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- total-todd-review reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- publicinsightjeff likes this
- cat likes this
- soharam likes this
- anarcho-alowisney likes this
- 2diskdeluxe reblogged this from againstpower
- fariyah reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- downlookingup likes this
- roxygen likes this
- dabnotu reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- fathom9 likes this
- againstpower reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- againstpower likes this
- kenyatta likes this
- futurejournalismproject posted this