Via the New York Times:
In a damning report after months of investigation into the hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch’s newspapers, a British parliamentary panel concluded on Tuesday that Mr. Murdoch was “not a fit person” to run a huge international company.
The startling conclusion about the world’s most influential media tycoon went much further in criticizing Mr. Murdoch than had been expected from Parliament’s select committee on culture, media and sport, which has conducted several inquiries into press standards, the most recent starting last year.
Via the BBC:
After initially claiming that malpractice was limited to one “rogue” reporter at the News of the World, News International has now settled dozens of civil cases admitting liability for hacking between 2001 and 2006.
More than 6,000 possible victims have been identified and the police have so far made a number of arrests in connection with an investigation reopened in January 2011 - although no charges have yet been brought.
Via the Guardian:
Rupert Murdoch, the document said, “did not take steps to become fully informed about phone hacking” and “turned a blind eye and exhibited wilful blindness to what was going on in his companies and publications”.
The committee concluded that the culture of the company’s newspapers “permeated from the top” and “speaks volumes about the lack of effective corporate governance at News Corporation and News International”.
That prompted the MPs’ report to say: “We conclude, therefore, that Rupert Murdoch is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of major international company.”
- halvingthetimeofmylife reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- forgottenbones reblogged this from misantropo
- misantropo reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- alarmswillring reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- colintedford likes this
- josephschmitt reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- josephschmitt likes this
- sassational reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- wtlossfoodblog likes this
- steveet76 reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- ladywiththehair reblogged this from sallyjessyrofl
- cnbc likes this
- sallyjessyrofl reblogged this from dowager-countess-of-westeros
- sallyjessyrofl likes this
- esendoran likes this
- adevilsmercy reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- questionall reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- questionall likes this
- oben02 likes this
- dangerfieldnewby reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- dowager-countess-of-westeros reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- dowager-countess-of-westeros likes this
- justinspoliticalcorner likes this
- futurejournalismproject posted this