Reach Out and Touch Something
Carnegie Mellon and Disney Research have teamed up to create a prototype called Touché that turns almost any surface — from solid to liquid — into a multifaceted touch surface.
Via Carnegie Mellon:
A doorknob that knows to lock or unlock based on how it is grasped. A smartphone that silences itself if the user holds a finger to her lips. A chair that adjusts room lighting.
They are among the many possible applications of Touché, a new sensing technique developed by a team at Disney Research, Pittsburgh, and Carnegie Mellon University.
Touché is a form of capacitive touch sensing, the same principle underlying the types of touchscreens used in most smartphones.
But instead of sensing electrical signals at a single frequency, like the typical touchscreen, Touché monitors capacitive signals across a broad range of frequencies.
This Swept Frequency Capacitive Sensing (SFCS) makes it possible to not only detect a “touch event,” but to recognize complex configurations of the hand or body that is doing the touching. An object thus could sense how it is being touched, or might sense the body configuration of the person doing the touching.
SFCS is robust and can enhance everyday objects by using just a single sensing electrode. Sometimes, as in the case of a doorknob or other conductive objects, the object itself can serve as a sensor and no modifications are required.
Even the human body or a body of water can be a sensor.
We look forward to the day Touché and Siri get together and make babies.
- artisticveins likes this
- ipicktheround likes this
- bvodesign reblogged this from notational
- pnzg likes this
- chloeannriley likes this
- emperorsilya1 reblogged this from thelearningbrain
- dontteasemyafro likes this
- outoftherabbithole likes this
- infinite-accession likes this
- jenninsandiego reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- son-risa reblogged this from dontforgettodream
- breakfastattiffneys likes this
- catherinepunkcollins reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- georgevaldes reblogged this from notational and added:
- leni likes this
- burofrank reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- vitomadness reblogged this from nowintothetardis
- resofactor reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- pehdtsckjmba likes this
- philisntcool reblogged this from georgie-chaos
- georgie-chaos likes this
- fucking-hero likes this
- notational reblogged this from thelearningbrain
- jonnyvogt likes this
- dangerousy0uth likes this
- thelearningbrain reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- canyouhearthewindchimes likes this
- thestormyjordan likes this
- eeeb likes this
- bombmagazine likes this
- crimsondude likes this
- crimsondude reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- counteverybeautifulthingg likes this
- dontforgettodream reblogged this from doe-eyed-debtor
- supersecret likes this
- yesterdaytomorrowfantasy reblogged this from nowintothetardis and added:
- doe-eyed-debtor likes this
- itakemyteawithsugar likes this
- nowintothetardis reblogged this from doe-eyed-debtor and added:
- doe-eyed-debtor reblogged this from futurejournalismproject and added:
- newsworks reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- sheckii likes this
- mckinneycantspeak likes this
- artandetcetera likes this
- perksofbeingaweirdo reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- futurejournalismproject posted this