Melissa Ulbricht, 2009 Knight News Challenge Winner, creates a handy guide at MediaShift’s Idea Lab.
“There are quite a few projects,” she writes, “that disseminate audio content using the voice channel”
- Freedom Fone, a Knight News Challenge winner, was deployed at two farm radio stations in Africa.
- Gaon ki Awaaz provides listeners in rural India with audio content twice a day in their native language.
- Avaaj Otalo lets farmers call in and listen to archived radio broadcasts in rural India.
- Geocell and Radio Greenwave in the country of Georgia make short broadcasts available to listeners if they dial a specified number.
- Listeners can call in to hear podcasts in the United States.
- In India, Bubbly allows content providers to upload messages that can be broadcast to a list of followers. Listeners can follow audio content from Bollywood celebrities.
View her guide at Idea Lab.