PR Daily put together a list of social media facts and figures. Here are some of our favorites.
2. Links about sex are shared 90 percent more than any other link.
FJP: Sexy is as sexy is. We’re not surprised by this one.
4. 25 percent of users don’t bother with any kind of privacy control.
FJP: They’re referencing Facebook here. You really should hit up the privacy controls. Especially since FB shifts things about fairly frequently.
10. Twitter handles more search queries per month than Bing and Yahoo combined (24 billion versus 4.1 billion and 9.4 billion respectively).
FJP: People who use Bing say it’s actually pretty good. After initially exploring it, I’ve personally never had a reason to default back to it.
13. Members are on track to make more than 5.3 billion searches on [LinkedIn] in 2012.
14. LinkedIn’s revenue has doubled every quarter for the last two years.
FJP: That is astounding.
18. The most watched non-commercial video [on YouTube] is “Charlie Bit My Finger Again,” with more than 458 million views.
FJP: Let us repeat — That is astounding.
25. 35 percent of corporate bloggers worked in a journalism, media or professional writing role.
FJP: So, if this journalism thing doesn’t work out we might find a home?
26. Pinterest drives more referral traffic than YouTube, Google+ and LinkedIn combined.
FJP: It’s a good model this — Users post visual candy. Others eat it up and click through to the source. Wonder if that was a planned or a happy accident on Pinterest’s part.
30. 97 percent of the fans of Pinterest’s Facebook page are women.
FJP: Looking for other brands that skew so radically to a gender.
36. “Student” is the number one occupation of Google+ users.
FJP: But does “student” actually post, plus 1 and otherwise interact on the platform?
40. More than 42 percent of Google+ users are single.
FJP: So we’re the socially awkward, single set? Maybe I’m just projecting.
45. Justin Bieber is the only person with a perfect Klout score of 100 (says it all, then).
FJP: Yes, yes it does.
49. China is the No. 1 country in the world for smartphone use, with approximately 1 billion users.
FJP: Step one in world domination?
52. One in five couples meet online; three in five gay couples meet online.
FJP: 50% of the FJP is single, and online… just saying.
PR Daily: 52 cool facts and stats about social media (2012 edition).