REPORTERO is one of the many amazing films being shown at the Human Rights Watch Film Festival this year.
The film follows veteran reporter Sergio Haro and his colleagues at Zeta, a Tijuana, Mexico-based weekly, as they dauntingly ply their trade in what has become one of the most deadly places in the world to be a journalist.
Since the paper’s founding in 1980, two of the paper’s editors have been murdered and the founder viciously attacked. Despite the attacks, the paper has continued its singular brand of aggressive investigative reporting, frequently tackling dangerous subjects that other publications avoid, such as cartels’ infiltration of political circles and security forces.
Human Rights Watch has documented an alarming rise in attacks and threats against journalists and human rights defenders in the context of Mexico’s “war on drugs,” virtually none of which are adequately investigated. Human Rights Watch’s most recent report on Mexico—Neither Rights Nor Security—documents killings, disappearances, and torture committed by security forces in five of the Mexican states most-affected by drug-related violence, including Baja California, where Zeta is published. Several of the cases of torture documented by Human Rights Watch in Tijuana were covered in the pages of Zeta.
FJP: If you’re in New York, the Human Rights Watch film festival runs from June 14 to June 28. Information about this and other films is here.
- albertmarch likes this
- equalitywatch likes this
- humminginahaze likes this
- pushinghoopswithsticks likes this
- justazar likes this
- notinseoul likes this
- monkeybuttocks likes this
- guuuuuurrrrl likes this
- vegetarianramen likes this
- aiusamidatlantic likes this
- derekwrites likes this
- cynthiahasatumblr reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- cynthiahasatumblr likes this
- anniebananz reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- medeaeva likes this
- genericlatino likes this
- futurejournalismproject reblogged this from humanrightswatch and added:
- violetwoolf reblogged this from humanrightswatch
- peaceful-wanderer likes this
- humanrightswatch posted this