With bells, whistles and technologies oh, my, we sometimes miss the forest for the trees, forgetting that good journalism is good facts wrapped with good storytelling.
Steve Buttry, Director of Community Engagement at TBD, walks us through one of his favorite reported pieces and gives the following tips on creating engaging narrative journalism:
- Write as you report
- Get tapes where you can
- Get records where you can
- Identify story elements
- Use dialogue instead of quotes
- Keep you lead brief and enticing
- Identify your key moments
- Keep your beginning in mind when you write the ending
- Read your story aloud
For details on each of these bullets, visit Steve’s blog.