Now fate finds Republicans, in the waning days of the 2012 campaign, faced with video of one candidate expressing his total contempt, his unfettered disdain for half of the country. Only it’s not the guy they’ve been trying to take out. It’s the guy they nominated.
Adam Serwer, Mother Jones. The Romney Video and the Right’s Quixotic Quest for the “Real Obama”
By now you’ve certainly heard something about Mother Jones posting a video and transcript of a speech Romney gave in May at a private fundraiser. He talked about what he sees as entitled voters, and the failed peace process in Israel. Here’s a quick roundup to help wade through what’s now a huge story:
While talking to those who share a lot of his own opinions, Romney let himself say things he wouldn’t say elsewhere.
On the 47% he believes will vote for Obama: "My job is not to worry about them. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
He says earlier in the video that they don’t pay taxes, which Ezra Klein considers in this article and ultimately dismisses.
On Israel and Palestine: "And I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these throny issues, and I say, ‘There’s just no way.’"
Here’s an article from Prospect that considers the implications of what they refer to as Romney throwing "the entire region under a bus."
FJP: More to come.
- brooklynese reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- halvingthetimeofmylife reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- asteroidproject reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- bryanlee-590 likes this
- armchairsoapbox likes this
- armchairsoapbox reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- kakashigaara8 likes this
- notapessimist-justrealistic reblogged this from kissmeviolently
- mctumblovin likes this
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- fromrusholmewithlove reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- themaskedmountie likes this
- tobejoyful reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- chaiebel reblogged this from phillyfishy
- phillyfishy reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- hcshannon likes this
- amospoe likes this
- viciousneutral likes this
- princeofthehallows likes this
- philosophica-dea reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- kissmeviolently reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- theeducatedfieldnegro likes this
- pretty-strangers likes this
- thepoliticalfreakshow reblogged this from futurejournalismproject
- futurejournalismproject posted this