Periodic Table of Tech
TechHive goes through 118 elements and gives a brief use case for each. For example:
3. Lithium is found in batteries for small electronics. For instance, lithium-based batteries are found inside the Apple iPhone 5.
6. Carbon: PC makers frequently use carbon fiber in laptop chassis designs because it is lightweight, and improved manufacturing techniques are reducing the cost and time necessary to make this material. The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop has a carbon-fiber shell.
12. Magnesium is a strong metal and commonly serves as a construction material. The new Microsoft Surface RT contains magnesium.
41. Niobium: Lithium niobate is used in mobile phone production, incorporated into surface acoustic wave filters that convert acoustic waves into electrical signals and make smartphone touchscreens work. SAW filters also provide cell signal enhancement, and are used to produce the Apple iPad 2.
54. Xenon: The individual cells in a plasma display—such as the Panasonic VT50—employ a mixture of xenon and neon that electrodes convert into a plasma. Xenon arc lamps are present in IMAX film projection systems.
Read through for the rest.
Image: Periodic Table of Tech, by TechHive. Select to embiggen.