The 2013 Utne Media Awards
About the contest:
2013 marks a new chapter in the 24-year history of the Utne Readerstaff recognizing and celebrating the best of what we read. Formerly called the Utne Independent Press Awards, we’ve decided to contemporize the name and call them the Utne Media Awards.
Considering the wealth of amazing new ideas, exceptional writing, and outstanding journalism taking place on the internet, we think it’s time the name of the award encompass every form of mass communication we come across each day from longform print journalism to video blogs. While we still love and will always celebrate the printed word, we’d be remiss not to recognize the democratization of information made possible by the internet. We think emphasizing the broad term “media” allows us to appropriately consider and recognize all of the ways people communicate with one another in the 21st century.
The winners are:
- YES! Magazine for General Excellence
- The New Inquiry for Best Writing
- Tom Dispatch for Best Political Coverage
- Colossal for Best Arts Coverage
- Guernica for Best Social/Cultural Coverage
- New Internationalist for Best International Coverage
- High Country News for Best Environmental Coverage
- Tricycle for Best Body/Spirit Coverage
- Scientific American for Best Science/Technology Coverage
See here for descriptions of the winners.
See here for the full list of nominees.
FJP: An interesting mix. Agree/Disagree or have some favorites of your own in any category? Let us know.