Posts tagged with ‘Journalism Tools’
In 2008, Ryan Sholin won a Knight News Challenge grant to create ReportingOn, a Web-based application to connect reporters working on similar stories so that they could share information.
Earlier this week, he mothballed the project and wrote a few words about the experience.
And a few recommendations for developers of software “for journalists:”
- Reporters don’t want to talk about unpublished stories in public.
- Unless they’re looking for sources.
- There are some great places on the Internet to find sources.
- When they do talk about unpublished stories among themselves, they do it in familiar, well-lit places, like e-mail or the telephone. Not in your application.
- Actually, keep this in mind: Unless what you’re building meets a very journalism-specific need, you’re probably grinding your gears to build something “for journalists” when they just need a great communication tool, independent of any particular niche or category of users.