posts about or somewhat related to ‘local news’
Buttry is referring to the death of his 16-year-old nephew, Patrick Devlin, which was never covered by the newspaper covering his metro area, except for an obituary. Devlin had been working on an Eagle Scout project at the time of his death. His sister, also seriously ill, was sent on a trip by the Make-A-Wish foundation, all of which are stories that the community would have cared about.
FJP: Worth reading to consider what stories do and don’t matter to a community and how meaningful and efficient coverage can be achieved.
Obvious when you think about it but good to keep in mind: local news value from low to high via Local News Initiative.
- Tier 1: COMMERCIAL - If it bleeds, it leads
- Tier 2: STAGED - It usually sounds like news…
- Tier 3: CULTURAL RESONANCE - the cultural fabric of the community
- Tier 4: LOCAL IMPACT/NATIONAL - connecting with the nation and the world
- Tier 5: LOCAL MEANING - resonance, trends, lasting impact
Click through for explanations and examples.